Review: Days of Blood & Starlight



Days of Blood & Starlight
By Laini Taylor

Days of Blood & Starlight is one of those books you stay up very late to finish...okay, ridiculously late, and then you wander around the next day trying to remember what's real and what's the book.

So, my complete hooked-ness having been said, I did feel a little like I had to wade through the middle.  It's a thing I have about second books in trilogies (at least I assume this will be a trilogy) that drag the characters down into the lowest of all possible lows.  I get it, I understand it, I even sympathize with it, it just makes me sad when characters I care about make the kind of decisions that dig the holes they're in deeper and deeper.  And yet, despite the pits of despair she crafted, Laini Taylor surprised me.  I didn't expect the direction she took and was very delightfully blindsided by some choices Karou and Akiva made.
Laini Taylor is an extraordinary writer.  She has created main characters to invest in and secondary characters to adore, with original, wonderful voices that make the reader laugh out loud and wince with sympathy.  She painted worlds with magnificent colors and crafted the kind of love to inspire passion in the most jaded of souls.

I look forward to re-reading Daughter of Smoke & Bone for the third time, and Days of Blood & Starlight again when the much-anticipated book three of this amazing series is released.

Popular posts from this blog

IngramSpark vs. Createspace

I Read Banned Books

A Human Queen - Conflicted Feelings About Elizabeth II